Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Interactive Visualization - Defining and using the ASSERT model: Part 2


Hello all!

Welcome back. This week I will continue talking about the ASSERT model from Bill Ferster’s (2013) book, Interactive Visualization. I will start by restating what ASSERT stands for and why it’s important. The acronym stands for ASK a question, SEARCH for evidence to answer the question, STRUCTURE that information to answer the question, ENVISION ways to answer the question using the data, REPRESENT the data in a compelling visualization, and TELL a meaningful story using the evidence to answer the question. It is used to help create visualizations that are engaging, educational, and help build onto research of the historical and social sciences.

Last week I focused on the A-S portion of the model. I formed the question (Ask) What were likely routes that migrants used to travel to this location before they died? I determined that this was a good question because it cannot be answered with a simple yes or no, and its narrow scope can be appropriately investigated and answered visually. For the Search portion of the model, I determined that I would have access to sufficient information to help with the rest of the model.

Now that we are caught up, I will finish off the S-E-R-T portions.  

The second S stands for STRUCTURE. Structuring data helps to better make sense of it and allows for better questions to be asked (Ferster, 2013:76). For this step, Ferster explains that quantitative data is often best used by imputing into spreadsheets as it is quicker and more accurate than by using word processing programs. I used Google sheets and Excel for this step. Google sheets is really great for collaborating with people all over the world, and/or, if you’re planning on needing to access the information on different computers. Excel is great because it offers more options than the online version.

For ENVISION, Ferster states that successful applications of information do not communicate data, but rather, a message. For this, I plan to use the data from the Excel sheet and input data into ArcGIS. Then use the strontium and oxygen isotope base layers to intersect the data to show each migrant’s potential region of origin. Then I will create a layer in ArcGIS of the Medieval trade routes in Europe, focusing specifically on Western Europe.

For this project, I plan to REPRESENT the data by attempting to illustrate the mobility and diversity of the founders of Berlin. I am hoping to create a visual representation of each migrant moving along the most likely trade route to the Berlin area. This portion of the model also investigates the interaction of the audience. Ferster discusses the affordances and constraints the creator (in this case, me) needs to think about before and during the visualization creation process. If possible, I would like the user to be able to adjust the movement settings maybe via a slider tool; however, the constraints for this project will likely (mostly) be due to my own novice capabilities as well as the limitations of the program I use.

Finally, I hope to illustrate and TELL a story about the origins of the settlers of Berlin, since the city’s earliest years is unknown. “Stories follow a structure that describes the action over time” (Ferster, 2013:176). Besides the map and the movement of the little icons on the screen, the best part of the project will be this portion of the model. I look forward to being able to give a voice back to each individual, no matter how limited it might be. By learning about these people through their diet, we not only learn a little about the founding of a major European capital city, but we also get a glimpse of the lives of the past through a unique combination of methodologies.

Now that I have explained the model and thought about how to proceed through its development, I look forward to working on it and sharing it with you all!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit!

-The Migrant Isotopist

No comments:

Post a Comment