Tuesday, November 12, 2019

The Journey to Berlin - Progress Report 2


Hello all! Welcome back!

This week I wanted to provide a progress report of my project.

If you recall, last week was slow going, but my amazing mother sent me a new laptop! Well, unfortunately, there was some issue with it, so I had to return it after a couple days. The good news is, I still didn’t receive a working ArcGIS code, so I moved on to plan B.

I started looking at the Visualeyes.org visualization tool and Tableau. Tableau didn’t appear to be the right format for my project, so I spent a few hours trying to navigate my way through Visualeyes. Frustration after frustration, I called it quits after five or six hours and did something else. Well, finally, I picked it back up again a couple days later and I am pleased to say I have made PROGRESS!!!

I have dots on a map that appear when they are supposed to! I have created sections in the story part with some words on the screen! This project is no where near complete yet, but I am so happy that it is finally beginning to materialize!!! 

So, to break this down a bit, here’s what I have been able to accomplish: Within the map, I have created the overlay of the medieval trade route map with the basemap and georeferenced. I then created the timeline at the bottom of the screen. I have created a star to highlight where Berlin is. I have created a “dot” for each individual and their timeline according to when they were dated by the excavation team. I also created multiple “chapters” in the storyline. On the image below (sorry for the really poor quality - it was a phone pic of my computer that has been copied), the story that is visible is Berlin. This section will eventually talk about the known historical background of Berlin's earliest years. Other “chapters” I have included is an overall background page, a page about isotope analysis, and a page for each individual. I will have more information about some of the individuals than the others, but I feel that each person should get a voice in this project.



Visualeyes.org uses a google sheet to organize its data. Every input in the program you need to save to the sheet and then save the program. This is cool, but also frustrating. I have found that for some reason, it doesn’t always save and I have to enter something a few times before its stays put. I have found that waiting a few minutes sometimes helps, but in one specific occasion, the only way it would save properly was by me adding it manually to the google sheet.

Even though this isn’t exactly how I wanted the project to go, it will create a really cool visualization that will help me explain my research to my dissertation committee/and the general public. I still plan to go forward for my dissertation using ArcGIS tools as it will be more precise than what this program can allow for, but this is a really good plan B and I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed your visit!

-The Migrant Isotopist

No comments:

Post a Comment